An exciting commission came in this month when Dr.Stacey Hunter, curator and director of Local Heroes Design invited me to take part in her Love Design project. The theme was ‘modern elegance’ with a colour palette inspired by 1930’s Miami.
I was to design a collection of linen union ties and bowties, (I was inspired by two iconic Miami buildings – more on that below). Jeweller Euan McWhirter designed a stack of bracelets made from interwoven gemstones and crystalline Swarovski shapes, Karen Mabon a silk pocket square which gentlemen can fold into a jacket pocket while ladies can wear around the neck as a gavroche in the Parisian style. Emma McDowall created a pastel concrete coin dish and vase to reflect the designer’s interest in colour and material play and Moira Warren of Patience Jewellery created diamond and lemon quartz drop earrings designed to convert from stud to elegant drop.
Left to right: Moira Warren, Niki Fulton, Karen Mabon, Euan McWhirter, Emma McDowall. Photo by Ross Fraser McLean.
The showcase is on display until the end of February at the five star G&V Hotel on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, and by the way, the hotel has a stunning interior which has just been designed by Graven Images design studio…and also has rather a good cocktail bar, The Epicurian.
Love Design showcase G&V Hotel
Ties & bowties for Love Design, Local Heroes Design
The Freedom bowtie (top right) is a print inspired by the iconic Freedom Tower in Miami, which was completed in 1925. I enjoyed thinking about this buildings purpose over time – originally as a printing facility then as a centre for helping Cuban refugees and now as a museum and cultural education centre. The tower is tall and linear and its sandy yellow facade is broken up by many windows. The blue in the design is to represent the blue waters of the adjacent Biscayne sea.
The Lovewell print has been inspired by the iconic Miami Post Office designed by architect Howard Lovewell Cheney completed in 1937. The pale pink rotunda with prominent cupola of the post office offset by the green lawns is what initiated the circular design and pale colour palette. The tie has a wedding vibe to it…another reason I called it the Lovewell.
Anyway, more importantly, the details for the competition!
Pop into G&V Royal Mile Hotel at 1 George IV Bridge to win one of 5 Scottish design objects. To enter, tag your Instagram photo with #GandVlovedesign and follow @gandvhotel or @epicurean_bar before the end of February.
G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh will pick five lucky winners who will each receive one of the prizes listed below.
Miami Signal Tie by Niki Fulton
Silk Pocket Square by Karen Mabon
Concrete Vase by Emma McDowall
Concrete Coin Dish by Emma McDowall
Rope Bracelet by Euan McWhirter
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Entrants can apply if already following @gandvhotel or @epicurean_bar on Instagram
- Entrants can enter competition multiple times
- To enter competition users have to follow @gandvhotel or @epicurean_bar on Instagram (or already be following), tag their photo with @gandvhotel or @epicurean_bar and use hashtag #GandVlovedesign
- Winners will be notified through Instagram
- G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh retain the right to amend or change the competition at any time
- Winner will recieve one of 5 stated prizes (Subject to availability and change at G&V’s discretion).
- Winners are required to provide a valid address for delivery of prize
- Winners to be chosen by G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh Social Media Department
- Competition to run between 10 and 28 February 2017
- By entering the G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh photo competition you give us permission to distribute your image across any other G&V Marketing channel
- Winners will be notified within 2 weeks of winning